Pink Fire Pointer Champagne Tasting in the South of France

Champagne Tasting in the South of France


What an exciting day! I was invited by a very charming French man to discover the difference between a Blanc de Blancs, a Pinot Noir and a Chardonnay champagne. I was not sure whether it was the Gallic charm or the temptation of bubbles, either way I could not resist the kind invitation.

On arriving I thought I had gone to heaven. Bottles and bottles of champagne were open just for me. I tried to look serious and composed but my toes were twitching with excitement, thankfully they were safely hidden from view in my Louboutins shoes.


Christian Pommier was my host; he explained that the first champagne I was sampling from the Maison Gosset was a Blanc de Blancs champagne which is a 100% chardonnay. It must be served between 8 to 10 degrees and should never be kept longer than 4 years. He looked a little shocked when I revealed that I never kept a champagne bottle longer than 4 days!

The strength of la Maison Gosset is in its size. The Gosset vineyards spread over 60 villages, making it a large champagne player. With a charming French accent, he explained that there was a delicate reflection in the bubbles and as I studied my favorite elixir I was transported!

The aroma of minerals, flowers, apricots, mirabelles and honey allows this to be a complex champagne worth taking ones time over. Fresh and sumptuous. Monsieur Pommier explained that it was perfect for an aperitif. Was this meant to refer to later that evening at aperitif time? Yes I am free for an aperitif, Please do ask!



We moved on to try Henri AbelĂ© champagne, which is 55% chardonnay45% pinot noir. Christian kept on mentioning la robe. …Whatever was he talking about? My Dress? With a sexy smile, he explained “la robe of the Champagne” was in fact the bottle. “Robe jaune pale”, actually meant a pale yellow bottle that is typical of a chardonnay. As we talked of the nose the body and of course the dress, I begun to feel this beautiful pale sparkling essence was a rival for my French man’s attention! Was I really going to fall out with my best friend over a man? As the sun set in the Luberon Mountains, my heart was transported; I decided bubbles should always win. I thanked Monsieur Pommier and left clutching my only love: a perfect Blanc de Blancs! 




Bubbly Bisous

The Champagne for Life Lady